Here at Andyn Farm, there’s a buzz of activity as we prepare to lift our field-grown trees, getting them ready for their new homes. We’re genuinely excited about this process, making room for fresh arrivals on our farm. In this blog post, we’ll take you behind the scenes to see how we will carefully lift and prepare our trees. It’s a practical glimpse into our work, highlighting the care we put into each tree. Join us as we share this essential part of our farming journey and the satisfaction that comes with connecting our trees to new gardens
1. Choose the Right Time: We’re excited about the upcoming tree lifting at the end of the month! Our trees are getting ready for their new homes, and this period, when they’re taking a rest, is the perfect time for a smooth transition to your garden. The cold weather slows down their metabolic activity reducing growth rate, minimising stress on the trees during transplantation and ensuring a smoother transition.
2. Prepare the Trees: Before we start, rest assured that each tree will be given individual attention. We will prune away any damaged or diseased branches, promoting overall tree health and ensure the trees are well-hydrated by thoroughly watering them a day or two prior to the scheduled lifting. Adequate hydration is crucial to prevent stress and shock during the transition. Healthy and happy trees make for a successful planting experience!
3. Lifting the Trees: Using precise techniques, our team will lift each tree with skill and care. Chris and the team will be paying extra attention to the root structure so it remains intact, preserving their health and vitality for a thriving life in your garden. Lifting the trees with intact root balls is crucial for preserving the delicate root system and ensuring a successful transplantation process.
4. Wrap the Roots: We’ll inspect every root, making sure they’re in top condition. To protect them during their journey to your home, we’ll wrap them gently in burlap, securing the soil around them and keeping them nice and moist.
5. Transportation to Your Home: After careful examination of the roots of each tree, we will trim any damaged or excessively long ones. To protect the roots from drying out and physical damage during transportation, we are planning to wrap them in burlap. The burlap will act as a safeguard, securing the soil around the roots and maintaining the necessary moisture levels essential for the trees’ survival.
6. Planting Advice for You: Before the new trees arrive, we’ll make sure their new owners all set with essential information. We’ll provide detailed instructions on the perfect planting depth and techniques, so you can confidently welcome them into your garden. Let’s not forget about mulching – it acts like a natural shield, regulating soil temperature and keeping the moisture just right. And when it comes to watering, especially during those crucial initial weeks, we’ll equip you with all the tips you need for success. Remember, we’re just a call or message away. Your confidence in caring for your newly acquired trees is our top priority, and we’re here to support you every step of the way!
If you would like to order any trees this winter, check out our plant catalogue here